Wednesday, September 30, 2009

girlcrush series vol. 3: art star.

i met my next girl crush, allie, through a group of mutual friends. the first time we hung out, we were wearing yarmulkes. um, i should explain why. we were at a bat mitzvah-themed bar crawl for our friend amanda's birthday, and what's more authentic than a yarmulke?

anyway, allie probably has one of the most uplifting, adventurous, encouraging spirits of anyone i've ever met. she's given me such great life advice lately; for instance, the other night she told me that she would help me find a new hobby, to keep me busy and help me to not think so much. i think she should just give me one of hers; the girl embroiders, sews, makes jewelry, even does ceramics. also, i'm pretty sure she invented the "fox hunt". if you need to ask what it is, i assume you've never been on one.

i'm excited to have her as my girl crush, but i'm even more excited to have her as my friend. i think you'll see why after you read her answers -- talk about inspiring. to say that i wish some of allie's optimism, confidence, and upbeat energy would rub off on me is an understatement; i think she's officially my new role model.

name: Allie Don't-Call-Me-Allison Emily Felton

age: really? 23. but I feel about 7-and-three-quarters.

where do you live? Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA

what do you do? I am the girl with too many hobbies. art education major. shop girl. optimist.

website: little mint fox

signature drink: As I told the bartender the other night "I'll be keepin' it tight with a gin & sprite."

9433_124649188207_503268207_2432480_3468494_n

who/what inspires you?: This is really what my blog is all about. I feel like inspiration is something that a lot of people overlook. They allow themselves to become bored when in reality, there are so many things that can spark a little fire under your ass. I think what inspires me the most is that no matter how shitty a day has been, no matter how dreadful tomorrow may seem, people will never stop creating. Life does not stop and wait, so if you stop to wallow around, you're going to have a lot of catching up to do. I am in constant kids-first-time-at-Disneyland type of awe, and although I may subdue it at times, I will always allow it to get the best of me. Inspiration, tally ho.

have you found your passion?: If anyone has at my age, they're full of shit. My mom would say I've got a new passion every month -- this month it's textiles, May was ceramics, June was bookbinding, etc etc. Whatever it is from month to month, life is surely enough to be passionate about. You don't have to have that one trade or craft to hold your passion. The people I admire most are those who are passionate in all that they do, I'm trying to get there.

how would others describe you?: Absolutely bat shit crazy. But really? I have no idea. I've been told I'm moody, loud, ghetto (I mean, I can do the Cry Baby. youtube it.), creative, interesting, immature, blah blah blah. I don't really listen to it I guess. The only thing I really hold myself accountable for is the biggest compliment and challenge I have ever gotten: Heather Duncan told me I have a really big heart. I try every single day to stay true to that.

2465241364_451ede2091

what is your biggest insecurity?: Well seeing how the question asks your "biggest" insecurity, and i'm having to think so hard, I have no idea. Shouldn't it be hanging over my head, stalking me like the SF fog? I suppose my biggest insecurity is my self-awareness. I know I'm loud (i have no volume control, what-so-ever) and that can bother people. I used to be a real big fibber. But I think since I've moved away from home and I've been humbled by such a big city, I have finally begun to feel like myself. I also think that working retail, and literally on a daily basis hearing absolutely gorgeous women say "I hate my _____." has put things in perspective -- not only physical insecurities but personal/mental insecurities just need to be tackled. I have chunky "tree trunk" legs. I have a funny big right toe. Just means I need to wear more short dresses and sandals. No one will tackle your insecurities for you. We all know with even an infinite amount of flattery from someone else, our insecurities are our own. Maybe I should be more insecure about SOMETHING, shit, I know I'm not perfect, I guess I'm just too consumed with all the lights and pretty colors to care anymore.

what is your most prized possession?: A small wooden box that sits atop my desk. It holds old photos of my parents and big brother, new photo booth shots of my friends, drawings from Chloe P, and postcards sent from places I've never been.

6254_104344353207_503268207_2164763_5317457_n

who has made the biggest impact on your life so far, and why?: It's a tie. My mother. A proud lioness. There isn't anyone stronger than her. I mean, really, she can lift just about anything, I've only seen her get sick maybe 3 times in my whole life, and I witnessed her go through one hell of a ten-year torture chamber relationship and come out of it with all of her nuts and bolts. She is an amazing artist, and I'm PRETTY sure they based the show MacGuyver on my mom. She can make, literally, anything from scratch, and it's gonna look damn good. My mom is always ready and waiting for the next set of punches, and not only will she roll with them, but she will be a white-knuckled ball of fury punching right back. As I get older people tell me I look, sound, and behave more like my mom, and I think of it as a wonderful, wonderful thing. What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger, and we say bring it, betch.

Heather Duncan is the other, for very different reasons. She taught me how to grow up without ever really "growing up." She is my former boss, forever my Boss Bear. She helped me figure out who I am and encouraged me to do whatever it is my little heart desires, and was my number one cheerleader when I decided to move to San Francisco. She would take me to Peets Coffee for reviews and I would get nervous and cry every single time because I valued her opinion so much, and still do. I no longer see her on a daily basis, but I still think about her on a daily basis. Always hoping to make Mama Bear and Boss Bear proud.

what book(s) have influenced you?: The Graduate. At my age, people face days filled with tough decisions frequently. I have found that sometimes the confusion, stress, and overwhelming pressure can be solved by only one thing: jump into a pool with all of your clothes on and just drift.

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. If you love them, give them whatever they want. Just know you must be prepared to give them whatever ELSE they want. And sometimes you really just need to sit down and draw a picture of your family and hang it on the fridge. with a cookie. and a glass of milk.

n503268207_539572_6117

what are your goals? which of those have you already accomplished?: Finish school (at some point, no rush): getting there. Make myself a dress: almost there. Eat more vegetables: trying. Create a new adult bevrie: Done -- Gin, limeade, mint, salt -- not sure what to call it. Learn how to make my mom's sauce: I still have my training wheels on. Smile more, get more belly laughs in a day: day b'day.

how do you maintain a positive attitude?: Being grateful is a learned habit. Be grateful for the great moments, the bad shit, the "hits you like a size 13 stiletto at a drag queen show" realizations, everything. Pretty much everything is laughable, and if you arent laughing, you better start. Once you realize that this life is too good for a heaven to exist as something better, positive is the only way to go, dude. Live the dream. Nobody likes a sourpuss anyway.

n700544646_1207217_1990

words to live by: Work hard and be nice to people. Everything in moderation. Don't be a menace in South Central while drinking your juice in the hood.

i demand that you read her blog, and follow her on twitter.

mood music: free energy - something in common

4 comments:

  1. i love this. every word and photo. must visit asap. road trip. again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. please do 'manda. i miss you guys madly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your blog.

    and these interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had a crush on allie when i first met her too...

    ReplyDelete